Together we can make a difference. Help spread the words by sharing these priorities to improve our public health care system.
- Recruit and retain more health care professionals in the public system. Doctors should be banned from working both systems – this leads to longer wait times in the public system.
- Fix wait time problems within the public system. Manage wait lists better. Boost capacity by strengthening services in existing hospitals and building more innovative public hospitals and clinics.
- Extend public health care to include prescription drugs. This would deliver savings to provincial governments and deliver safe and cost-effective drug therapies to more Canadians.
- Stop contracting out hospital support services. Keeping them public is key to healthier patients and cleaner facilities.
- Improve the overall structure of health care delivery. Let’s reform front-line health care, deliver more public homecare, and create more public community health and long-term care facilities.
- Keep people healthy in the first place. Reduce poverty, poor nutrition and other “social determinants” of ill-health.
- Enforce the Canada Health Act and stop two-tier health care. Build on the successes of public health insurance programs and not-for-profit delivery. Two-tier care takes money away from patients and turns it into profits.