There’s universal support for pharmacare, finds new poll
According to a recent poll conducted by the Canadian Federation of Nurses Unions and Environics, Canadians widely believe everyone should have equal access and coverage.
- 87% of Canadians support implementing a national pharmacare program to provide equal access to prescription drugs for everyone in Canada.
- 86% of people feel the federal government has a responsibility for ensuring everyone in Canada has prescription drug coverage.
- 25% of all households pay more than $500 per year on prescriptions. Meanwhile 10% pay over $1000/year.
- 34% of people report being less able to afford prescription medication. Inflationary pressure is pushing prescription medications further out of reach.
- 22% of households have at least one individual who feels trapped in their current job, because they fear losing their drug coverage.
- 79% of people support the federal government taking charge to fund a national pharmacare program.
Where do these numbers come from?
A total of 1,503 Canadians completed this online survey. The Environics Research poll was conducted between January 18 and 24, 2023.